There are few things I say with absolute certainty, and this is one of them: this is the best breakfast sandwich you will ever have. It’s also the weirdest breakfast sandwich, and only those brave enough to try something potentially new will enjoy its delicious combination of creamy nutty peanut butter melted onto smoked gouda and topped with an over-easy egg.
Wait, peanut butter and eggs?! Yea. You heard that right. Don’t give up on me yet.
This concoction is called the McCragin, because I invented it and I’ve always wanted a food named after me. But the inspiration truly came from my friend Shelly, whose northern Chicago ways has confused the Floridian in me since she first referred to soda as “pop.”
One morning in college I woke up bleary eyed and found my way to the breakfast nook, where Shelly was eating a bowl of eggs with — you guessed it — peanut butter. After giving her the same reaction you undoubtedly just gave me, I shrugged and decided to try it.
My life was changed. And thus, the McCragin was born.
The best part is, it requires less than 5 ingredients as per my Simple 5 Food Experiment goal, and then you can modify as needed.
- Bread of your choice
- Peanut Butter
- 1 Egg, cooked over-easy
- 1-2 slices of Smoked Gouda cheese
- Butter or oil for the pan
Optional Ingredients for the Super McCragin:
- Thin Tomato slices
- 1-2 slices of Deli meat
- Turkey meat is a particularly good pairing
- English muffins are a good bread to start off with
- I prefer to cook the egg soft and over-easy, because I like the element of surprise in my sandwich. When I serve this sandwich, I eagerly await for the egg to burst and cause a massive spill of hot yolk, which I then lap up with the remainder of my bread.
- If you’re allergic to nuts or if you’re a skeptic, you can use hummus. But I urge you, don’t be a coward. Try the peanut butter at least once.
- Slice your bread and lightly toast it
- Heat up your pan with oil or butter
- Cook your egg soft and over-easy
- Spread peanut butter over both sides of the toasted bread so it’s nice and melted
- Add a slice or two of smoked gouda cheese to both slices of bread
- Finish cooking the egg, and place it on top of one side of the bread
Variation for the Super McCragin
- Slice your tomato into thin slices and line one side of your bread with the tomato slices.
- Layer in some slices of deli meat (my recommendation is turkey meat)
Serve and enjoy it hot.
Yum…Let me know what you think.
Thanks for reading! Follow my blog to keep up with the recipe updates for the Simple 5 Food Experiment!